Special Project: Pesticide Residue Testing
Area of Concern:
Public perception of pesticides on locally produced crops, based on the misuse of pesticides (early harvest or apply too much, too often) or the use of misbranded (unregistered and illegal) pesticides.
Two courses of action:
- Conduct residue testing on local crops to deteremine presence or absence of pesticide residue.
- Conduct commodity sampling (fruit or vegetable to be sent to a laboratory for analysis) to determine type of pesticide and level of toxicity.
- Bureau of Environmental Health (BEH)
- NMC Cooperative Research, Extension, Education Service (CREES)
- Division of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Dept. of Lands & Natural Resources (DLNR)
- Sabalu Farmers Association
- Community At Large (growers & buyers)
- This endeavour is a joint government and non-government initiative to test locally grown produce in Saipan, Tinian and Rota for the purpose of instilling consumer confidence in locally grown produce and promoting the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- The test for chemical (pesticide) residue on fruits and vegetables shall be conducted using an onsite field test kit.. The onsite test will provide a quick response to confirm or eliminate the presence of chemicals (pesticides) on the tested produce.
- This test is strictly a fact-finding endeavour to identify the current pesticide usage and pesticide residue level. The focus and intent is to raise awareness about the safe use of pesticides in local agriculture.
- Raise awareness that community-based business is valuable & important to our local island economy, our culture and social fabric.
- Assure the community that locally grown fruits and vegetables are safe commodities.
- Participation can lead to the promotion & advertising of your business, and elevate your sales.
- Create strong relationships with local government and the media to foster a healthier CNMI.
The results of the onsite testing will assist the organizations address the safe use of pesticides and residue levels.
Residue Test Results (as of Dec 2013)
- Acho's Gualo
- 3J's Enterprises
- William Ada Farm
- Greg Calvo's Farm
- Saipan Farm & Garden
- Rose's Farm
- Greenlife Local Fresh Produce
- Camia Garden
- R/D Enterprises
- Guerrero's Farm Produce
- Jess Multi-Farms
- KET/Roberto Farm
- Lizama Farm
- Y.A.S. Farm
- Frank Castro Farm
Interested? Complete the Waiver Form and contact the pesticide program at (670)-664-8511/2